The purpose of the Astronomy Department Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee is to:
1. Monitor and work to improve the Astronomy Department climate. One aspect of this work was to develop the Astronomy Department Code of Conduct.
2. Identify ways to increase the well being and sense of belonging of all members of the Department so they are better able to perform their best work. This includes students, staff, and faculty.
3. Work to achieve equity through assistance to Department members from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in Astronomy, which includes some racial/ethnic minorities, those of less advantaged socioeconomic status, and other identities.
Our main, regular event is Diversity Journal Club, which meets every two weeks. Click this link to see the Diversity Journal Club schedule. All members of the Department are welcome to attend these meetings.
If you have any questions, would like to propose a topic for the Diversity Journal Club, or have other comments, you are welcome to contact any of the members of the committee.
- Committee Chair: Prof. Paul Martini
- Prof. Smita Mathur
- Prof. Todd Thompson
- Postdoctoral Representative: Dr. David Martin
- Staff Representative: Dr. Jonathan Crass
- Graduate Student Representative: Caprice Phillips
- Graduate Student Representative: Ari Bredall
- Undergraduate Student Representative: Phoenix Sarian
- Undergraduate Student Representative: Amanda Fanale